More and more, small businesses are understanding the importance of Search Engine Optimization to get their websites found. As I have mentioned in a previous post, this practice takes time and patience. I can take up to 6 months to start seeing results. If you are starting a new business, here are some tips to consider:
1) Purchase a domain names for 5 or 10 years, not just 1 or 2.
2) Purchase the .org, .biz .net etc versions of your name.
3) Pick a business name that is one of your keywords. (For example Danny's Lawn Mowers)
4) Hire a web designer who will create a SEO friendly site.
5) Make sure you have good keyword use in title tags, as well as H1 and H2 tags.
6) Design a site that is attractive and easy to navigate.
There are many, many additional details to consider and manage. You can learn more directly from Google as well as many SEO experts.